308 History of Wake Forest College
Legislatures that the great mass of the white people of North Carolina
were insisting that the denominational colleges should have a place in
the sun.
It was unfortunate, however, that in 1894 and the years following
the way was not open to direct this enthusiasm to the increase of the
endowment and the efficiency of the College, largely because of the
fact that the field had been surrendered to the Baptist Female
University which was jealously guarding its place. The enthusiasm
mostly went up in smoke; or what was worse, many loyal friends of
the College convinced themselves that all that was necessary to
promote its prosperity was to keep down appropriations to the
University. They disregarded the fact that the College needed
increased endowment, better buildings and laboratories and libraries,
and a larger teaching force paid something beyond a starvation salary,
and that it was the obligation of the Baptists of North Carolina to
furnish the money for these things.
Strange as it may seem, however, the College made considerable
progress in the remaining years of President Taylor's administration,
1893 to 1905. Schools of Law, Bible, Education and Medicine were
added. This was made financially possible by the unexpected
productiveness of its investments and by increased revenues from a
larger number of students, which grew from 191 in 1892-93 to 313 in
1904-05.
Previous Page Next Page