During President Taylor's administration the enrollment with the
exception of a few years showed progressive increase in number. In
1884-85 it was 144; in 1904-05 it was 313; the highest number was in
1903-04, 328. It reached 200 in 1886-87, and did not fall under that
number except in the hard years financially and competitively of
1892-93 and 1893-94, when it was 191 and 197 respectively. There is
evidence that in quality also the preparation of the students made
some improvement. President Taylor often made it plain that students
with deficiencies were admitted only because of the lack of good
academies and he was always glad to report to the Trustees any
falling off in the number of those not well
The total
number of registrations for all the twenty-one years was 5,082, an
average of 242 a year, of whom 599 won degrees, some more than
one, making a total number of degrees granted 665-85 Master of Arts,
463 Bachelor of Arts, 27 Bachelor of Letters, 30 Bachelor of Science,
60 Bachelor of Law (later Laws). Beginning with the school year
1887-88 students entering were offered only the degrees of Bachelor
of Arts and Master of Arts. This continued until the establishment of
the School of Law, in 1894, when the professional degree of Bachelor
of Law was introduced; later with the establishment of the School of
Medicine, in 1902, the academic degree of Bachelor of Science was
constituted. Except
1 Minutes of the Boards of Trustees for June, 1887, and the succeeding years.
"The increase in the number of associational academies, in cooperation with Wake
Forest, is a hopeful indication for the future growth and usefulness of the College.
Those now in existence and others which are projected should receive all
encouragement from all the friends of Wake Forest. For, on the one hand, they will
render possible the elevation of the standards of the College, and, on the other, they
will provide primary and secondary education, under Christian auspices, for large
numbers who will never aspire to higher education." Pres. Taylor's report to the
Trustees, May 28, 1901.
Previous Page Next Page