344 History of Wake Forest College
versity since 1928; C. B. Williams, 1891, Howard College, Bir-
mingham, Alabama, 1919-21; Thurman D. Ritchin, 1905, Wake
Forest College since 1930.
Several of the graduates in these years did distinguished work in
public schools and in academies. As is noted by President Taylor in
his report to the Board of Trustees in June, 1900, comparatively few
Wake Forest men were able to secure positions as teachers in the city
schools; since at that time there were very few other public schools of
above elementary grade, Wake Forest men were almost shut off from
the public schools in North Carolina, except in the role of county
Four of the graduates of this period, however, served in that way:
W. W. Woodhouse, for twenty-five years in Bladen County; H. W.
Early, 1895, for thirty years in Bertie; A. C. Gentry, 1903, in Person;
and F. Q. Barbee, 1902, in Northampton. G. W. Coggin, 1904, has for
a dozen years served as vocational department of the office of the
Superintendent of Public Instruction. But when they left college few
of the Wake Forest men found any place in the public schools. M. B.
Dry, 1896, began work in the Cary High School, a community or
private enterprise, and continued with much success until the State
took it over as part of its high school program, when he remained as
its head. E. F. Mumford worked as Principal of Wallburg, a Baptist
Associational academy; G. E. Lineberry, 1897, succeeded by F. C.
Nye, 1900, built a great school at Winterville, Pitt County, another
associational academy; C. M. Beach, 1902, was the head, first of the
Dell School, and next of Wingate Academy Junior College; W. H.
Tyler, 1902, became principal of the Goldston High School; W. C.
Allen, 1885, was the one of two men of these years who had a North
Carolina graded school in charge, that of Waynesville; the other was
J. Paul Spence, who for several years was Superintendent of the New
Bern Schools; G. F. Edwards was the founder and first principal of
the school at Salemburg, another associational academy, which is now
Pineland Junior College, Salemburg, but later several others have
labored with success in the public schools, among them G. M.