350 History of Wake Forest College
Rockingham, V. O. Parker, 1896, has long been a real estate broker of
Raleigh; P. R. Alderman, 1902, was a member of a large lumber
manufacturing firm at Alcolu, South Carolina.
Although the members of the Wake Forest College faculty were
busily engaged with their teaching most of them found some time for
other activities. All told they produced a respectable amount of
publications. Professor J. R. Duggan in his brief career contributed
several technical articles to the American Chemical Journal. Later Dr.
W. L. Poteat made occasional contributions of a semi-popular nature
to Science, and Dr. Lanneau wrote much for Popular Astronomy.
Of published volumes by the members of the faculty of this period
there were few. President Taylor brought out in 1891 his General
Catalogue of Wake Forest College, 1834-92, a valuable compendium
of information about the trustees, faculty, alumni and students
generally of the College. In 1894 was published, unbound, his How
Far Should a State Undertake to Educate? a collection of articles
which had previously appeared in the Biblical Recorder, and in 1898
his The Story of Yates the Missionary, which is a source book rather
than the usual biography. In 1901, Dr. W. L. Poteat brought out his
Laboratory and Pulpit, 103 pages, of which the contents were the
"Gay Lectures" of 1901 of the Southern Baptist Theological
Seminary. In this volume he has gathered and reduced to system ideas
found in articles published in periodicals, and the three lectures are
probably his best exposition of his conception of the relation of
science and religion. Dr. E. W. Sikes's doctorial dissertation, From
Colony to Commonwealth, is regarded as authoritative for the period
of North Carolina history indicated in its title. In 1903 the University
of Chicago Press published Dr. G. W. Paschal's dissertation, A Study
of Quintus of Smyrna, which was highly praised by the German
reviewers. In this period Dr. Benjamin Sledd produced two volumes
of poetry, the first, From Cliff and Scaur, 100 pages, in 1897; the
second, The Watchers of the Hearth, 84 pages, 1902; both have been
highly praised as containing poetry of rare excellence; in the same
period members
Previous Page Next Page