THE TOWN AND THE CAMPUS
The student coming to Wake Forest in August, 1866, got off the
train at Forestville, for there was then no station at Wake Forest and it
was against orders for trains to stop there to let off even crippled
persons. Coming up the road to Wake Forest the first house he saw
was that of the Holdings, which still stands much enlarged and
improved on the east side of the road and south of the public school.
Further north and just north of the present public school grounds he
saw the house built by Rev. Thomas Crocker and at that time
occupied by Dr. William Royall. Next he came to the only store in
town, that of Rev. J. S. Purefoy but usually kept by his wife, in a
building later used for dormitories and called "Paradise," but now
removed to form part of the Wake Forest Hotel on the south side of
the same block. Passing the store he saw on the same lot, where the
tennis courts now
the stately Purefoy Hotel, facing the Campus.
Across the road in the direction of the railroad was the brick house
built by Rev. Amos J. Battle in 1838 and still standing, which at that
time was the home of Major J. H. Foote and family. On further, next
the railroad was the house, not so large as it now is, which later was
the home of Dr. W. L. Poteat and family but at that time vacant. West
of the Purefoy Hotel on South Street was the Battle House, now much
enlarged, the home of the family of Professor B. F. Sledd, back of
which was a fine orchard. Further along the road to the west was the
home of Mr. Raburn, now the Lassiter place. Opposite southwest
corner of the Campus, on the site of the President's House, was the
home of Dr. W. M. Wingate. Further north on Wingate Street was the
old Jones residence, which had been moved from its original site
where Wait Hall now -stands, and was then the home of Dr. W. T.
True in 1936 when this was written. Since then a dining hall has been built in
the back of the lot, and in front is a wide lawn.