Fraternities 409
pledge made above, along with several other regulations. But in the
year 1889-90 the same fraternity, Kappa Alpha, was again causing
trouble at the College. The faculty took recognition of the fact with
the result that on April 10, 1890, ten of its members in a set of
resolutions, "done in chapter assembled," and as an evidence of good
faith signed by each of the ten, declared to the faculty that they had
"unconsciously violated the regulations of the College," and asserted
their "ignorance of the clause in the regulations prohibiting
fraternities." Therefore they were surrendering their charter, putting it
into the hands of a member of the faculty to be mailed, and pledged
themselves "not to affiliate as an organization at all in this college, so
long as the regulations remain prohibitory, nor in any way associate
or encourage the reestablishment of the chapter here."
The ten whose names were signed were said to be the total mem-
bership in the College at that time. So far as appears the pledge thus
given was faithfully observed by the Kappa Alpha members. Only
three of the ten returned for the next session, the greater number
having graduated in June, 1890. In the course of the year, 1890-91,
however, the faculty again took notice of the presence of fraternities
at the
College.5
It seems probable that several other students had been
initiated into the Kappa Alpha fraternity elsewhere during the year,
1890-91. After this year no further trouble was given.
The next trouble was not with a national but with a local group. The
first of these to be organized was that known as the D.V.L., the first
notice of which appears in the Wake Forest Student, XIV, 189,
January, 1895, but possibly without a name it had been in existence
already more than a year. The initials are not to be expanded into the
word "Devil," as might be thought, but probably into Dum Vivimus,
Ludamus, "while we live, let us be sports." 6
―――――――
5
Minutes of Faculty, May 22, 26, and June 13, 1891. On January 30, 1891, the
faculty promptly rejected the request of the K. A. Journal for a cut of the College
and grounds.
6 So Professor J. B. Carlyle, to whom the leader of the organization brought the
motto.
Previous Page Next Page