34 History of Wake Forest College
Walters and family. Further on and opposite the northwest corner of
the Campus was the home of Dr. W. T. Brooks and family, which still
stands, only slightly altered. To the north of the Campus, on the west
of the road, where now stands the brick building, was a house then
facing the Campus but later turned around to face Main Street and
used as a store and a postoffice, but at that time occupied by five
Rowland brothers from Henderson, students who did their own
cooking, but afterwards became famous bankers and financiers.
Across the street towards the railroad, where now is the Simmons
Dormitory, was the brick house built by Mr. Charles W. Skinner but
at that time the home of Dr. W. G. Simmons. North of that on Main
Street were only three houses, that of Mr. J. M. Brewer, on the west
side of the street, now called "Colonial Inn" and occupied by a
granddaughter of Mr. Brewer; second, that built by Dr. Samuel Wait,
on the west side also about the middle of the second block, but later
the home of President Charles E. Taylor and now the home of his
daughter, Mrs. Crittenden. Across the street, one lot further north, was
the third house, the home of the Misses Hicks, which now enlarged
and remodeled is the pastor's home. The only other residence in town
was a one-story house on the corner northwest of Middle and Pine
streets, then vacant but later the first home of Professor L. R. Mills
and wife. The house greatly enlarged, still stands. On the rear of the
lot of Mr. J. M. Brewer was the African Chapel, which was soon
removed. This was the Wake Forest of August, 1866. East of the
railroad there was no building, nothing but an old field covered with
pines.1a
The development of the Campus may be said to have begun in these
years, which for the sake of unity will be traced to the present.
It has already been told that in 1854 a fence was built to enclose a
part of what is now the Campus. On the east this fence ran
―――――――
1a The above account has been digested from an article by a student who came to
Wake Forest in the first week of August, 1866, Dr. G. W. Greene, in Wake Forest
Student, X, 418 ff.
Previous Page Next Page