XXIX
WAKE FOREST AND THE ACADEMIES
1865-1905
When Wake Forest College resumed operations after the Civil War
very few of its students had sufficient preparation to do college work.
Of the sixty-seven enrolled for the calendar year 1866 forty were
classed as preparatory students, and of the same class were forty-four
of the eighty-five enrolled in 1867, while five others did mostly
preparatory work in college. Conditions had not improved in the
collegiate year 1868-69, when only thirty-one of the ninety-eight
students were classed as collegiate, while forty-three were preparatory
and twenty-four others had studies in both the collegiate and
preparatory courses. In 1870-71 the collegiate students numbered
thirty-eight, the preparatory fifty-seven, and those having studies both
collegiate and preparatory twenty-one. After this the distinction is no
longer indicated in the catalogue.
The reason for the condition indicated above is obvious: academies,
now called high schools, were few in North Carolina in the decade
following the Civil War and very few young men had opportunity to
prepare themselves for college work. Most of the academies had not
functioned during the years 1861-65. Work had been suspended in
nearly all of the Baptist associational academies of which an account
was given in the first volume of this work. One of these, the Warsaw
Academy of the Eastern Association, had continued its work all
through the period of the War. From 1862 to 1874 it was under charge
of Isham Royall, who conducted it with much success. And it may be
added here that it continued to be operated under the general care of a
board of trustees appointed by the Association until 1915, when that
part of the property on which the school building was located was
sold for a nominal price to the town of Warsaw for school
Previous Page Next Page