420 History of Wake Forest College
purposes, and the remainder was donated to the new Baptist school at
The Academy of the Chowan Association at Reynoldson, Gates
County, having suspended during the War was reopened in 1866
under charge of Colonel J. M. Taylor and Rev. C. T. Bailey. After a
year Bailey resigned but the school was continued until 1869 when
the property was sold and used as a private school by J. F. Howell,
and other teachers, mostly Baptists, until the end of the century. Even
while it remained under associational control it is probable that the
only support the Association gave it was its good will and the use of
buildings and grounds without
Mars Hill College also was continued during the Civil War and has
so continued until the present time under direct denominational
control, but until 1889, with several lapses of operation. Today it is a
well equipped and duly accredited junior college.
The United Baptist Institute at Taylorsville was also kept open
during the Civil War, and after that time under various names was
supported by the Alexander Association until 1905, when the public
high school program caused its final abandonment.3
The buildings and grounds of several other associational academies
were used for private schools, seemingly without rental charges, for
many years after the War. Among these was that of Mt. Vernon
Springs Academy, the school of the Sandy Creek Association, where
from 1865 to 1871 school was kept by A. J. Emerson, an able
graduate of the College, and afterwards until 1875 by Captain C. S.
Siler. The plant of the Holly Springs
1 Minutes of the Eastern Association for the years 1865 to 1905. The following is
a noteworthy item from the report of Principal Isham Royall to the Eastern
Association meeting at Moore's Creek, October 3-4, 1865: "Dear Brethren: We are
sorry to inform you that your school is not so flourishing as last year, there being at
present only twenty-seven scholars and one teacher. We had a very good school in
the spring, but were compelled to suspend on the 17th of March, on account of the
presence of U. S. troops. The number of students during the year has been sixty."
Delke, History of the Chowan Baptist Association, p. 64.
3 Minutes of the Alexander County Association for the years indicated.