422 History of Wake Forest College
Something has already been said of fate of the older associational
academies in this period. This leaves to be considered those schools
which had no associational connection. One of these was that of
Lilesville in which Rev. J. B. Richardson (B.A. 1861) taught from
1862 till 1867; then he went to Abbott's Creek and taught there, 1868-
71, when he went to High Point and continued in school work there
for several years, leaving it to devote his whole time to religious
work. He had a great reputation as a teacher and disciplinarian.
Another academy was that of Rev. J. T. Albritton (1856-57) at Mount
Olive where he taught for several years beginning in 1865. In 1865-67
Rev. J. T. Westcott (1860-61, 1867-68) had a school in Smithville
(now Southport). In 1865, on his return from the cavalry service of
the Confederate States Army J. M. White (B.A. 1859) resumed his
work in the Clayton Academy which he had begun in 1859. Here he
taught for two periods, first 1865-72, and second 1876-83. In the
interim, 1872-76, he taught in Raleigh at the Lovejoy Academy. In
1879 he was ordained to the Baptist ministry. He next taught at Holly
Springs, 1883-88, when he left for Apex and remained until 1891;
then he took charge of the schools at Edgefield, S. C. Later he
returned and worked at the Olive Chapel School in Wake County. He
died in 1912. He had devoted his life largely to work in the academies
of the State and had the reputation of being one of the State's great
educators. Many of the students trained in his schools came to Wake
Forest College, some of whom attained high distinction, but none
perhaps higher than his own sons, John E. White, and R. Bruce White,
of whom some account is found in other chapters of this work.
Another student of Mr. White's, to be mentioned also for his great and
able services, was David W. Herring, missionary to China. In 1866 H.
R. Horne, who had been an officer of the Confederate States Army,
also taught at Clayton, probably as an assistant to White. In 1866 J. H.
Bunn was teaching in Forestville in the building erected in the 1820's
and used for a quarter of a century longer under