Wake Forest and the Academies, 1865-1905 425
had charge of the famous Vine Hill Academy at Scotland Neck; in
1881-82 he was at Murfreesboro, and in 1884-85 he had charge of the
academy at Wake Forest, having as assistant his brother-in-law,
Charles E. Brewer, then a student in the College. In 1885 he began his
work as principal of the Littleton Academy, where he served for two
periods, 1885-99, and 1904-14; in 1914-22 he taught at Mills Home,
Thomasville, getting his State Teacher's Certificate, on a statement of
his college work, 1872-75, probably the earliest college work for
which a statement was ever filed with the State Department of
Education. At the end of 90 years he died at Winston-Salem, February
26, 1938. Perhaps no teacher in North Carolina high schools had done
a more valuable work. Another teacher of this period was Rev. J. H.
Yarborough (1860-61). He had served as chaplain in the Confederate
Sates army in 1863-64. He was principal of the school at Forest City,
1879-90, and thereafter taught at Trap Hill in Wilkes County. On
leaving Wake Forest in 1872 T. E. Waff taught in Nash County until
1882, when he took charge of the old Reynoldson Academy in Gates
County and remained here until 1887. After a year, in 1883, Rev. W.
B. Waff (B.A. 1880) came to share with him the direction of the
school and remained until 1886, when he gave up school work to
devote his whole time to the gospel ministry. In 1876 and several
years after Rev. O. T. Edwards (1875-76) was at Pleasant Lodge
Academy, near Liberty, associated first with N. C. English and
afterwards with J. C. Staley (1875-76) in the conduct of an excellent
school for both sexes. After taking a course at the Southern Baptist
Theological Seminary he opened again a school at Mt. Vernon
Springs in Chatham County, in which the next year he associated with
himself R. P. Johnson. In 1884 he gave up this work to devote his
time to the ministry, but later, in 1905, took charge of the school a
second time, and continued until his death in 1906; in 1897 it had
been adopted at his urgent suggestion as the associational academy by
the Sandy Creek Association, but it had lost its patronage to other
schools in towns. nearby and survived only until 1907. Mr. R. P.
Johnson (M.A. 1879) devoted his whole life to school work. After re-
Previous Page Next Page