426 History of Wake Forest College
ceiving the Master of Arts degree at Wake Forest in 1879, he taught
for a year at Rocky River Academy, Chatham County, and another
year at Sylvan Academy; in 1880 he came to Mt. Vernon Springs
Academy, where for three years he worked in collaboration with Mr.
Edwards, and then until 1888 was sole principal in the direction of
that excellent school. He was in charge of the school at Dudley, South
Carolina, 1888-90; in 1890 he returned to North Carolina to work in
the Thompson School at Siler City and at North Wilkesboro, 1901-03;
at Mt. Vernon Springs, 1903-05; in 1905 he took charge of the
Pittsboro Academy and remained in that work for several years; in
1902 he became County Superintendent of Public Instruction for
Chatham County and continued as such until his death in 1918.
Another teacher who belongs to this period was L. T. Buchanan
(1872-76). On leaving college he taught one year at Wilton, then at
Durham, 1877-81, and after teaching three years in Wake County and
three years at Hamilton he returned to the Durham Male Academy in
which he taught from 1888 to 1892, when he gave up teaching, but in
1896 took charge of the Creedmore Academy. Rev. C. W.
Scarborough was principal of the Forestville Academy the year of his
graduation, 1877, for one year. Then he spent a year in the Southern
Baptist Theological Seminary, and returning to the College served as
tutor, 1879-82. His major work, however, was in the ministry, but lie
taught at other times for short periods, in 1884-85 in Chowan College.
Another who devoted his life to teaching was N. D. Johnson, who in
the year of his graduation, 1878, took charge of the academy at Fair
Bluff; here he remained until April, 1883, and after working in the
schools of Montpelier, Richmond County, and at Apex and Spring
Hill, and Pine Grove and Little Rock, South Carolina, and at
Whiteville, he returned to Fair Bluff and took charge of the academy
there, the second time, in 1897. Another who contributed much to the
educational life of the State was Rev. J. A. White. On leaving college
in 1874 he became principal of the Cedar Run Academy in Alexander
County and worked here for eight years; then after other pastoral and
educational work at Shelby and in South Carolina, in 1901
Previous Page Next Page