Wake Forest and the Academies, 1865-1905 427
he became principal of the Taylorsville Collegiate Institute, which
place he held until 1905 when the school was discontinued. In 1905
Mr. White took charge of the school at Lenoir. Fleet R. Cooper (B.L.
1878), who afterwards became one of the leading lawyers of Clinton,
for five years, 1878-82, was principal of the school at Warsaw, and in
1882-83 had charge of the Clinton Collegiate School and graded
school. Another who later became a lawyer was N. Y. Gulley (M.A.
1879); he taught, first, 1879-81, in the Raleigh graded schools; next,
1881-82, at Smithfield; and for several years, beginning 1882, at
Franklinton. In 1894 he became professor of Law in Wake Forest
College, a position which he held until his retirement in 1938.
In the next decade there was much development of secondary
education in North Carolina. Almost every progressive town, new or
old, wanted a school, equipped to teach all grades from primary to
preparatory for college entrance, and often had a school plant to offer
free of rent to any promising young college graduate who would take
charge. It was in the plan of many students of the colleges, from the
day of their entrance on their college work, to teach for at least a short
period in these schools, even though many of them had other plans
than teaching for their life work. In this decade as many as one
hundred and twenty-five Wake Forest men, in addition to those
already mentioned, were teaching in the academies of the State. For
the educational work of the greater number of these the reader is
referred to the alphabetical list given in the appendix to this chapter,
but a few of those who did distinguish service are mentioned here.
One of these was E. E. Eddins, who, graduating in 1885, taught for
one year, 1885-86, at Franklinton, and the next year, 1886-87, at
Berea, Granville County. In 1887 he began his work at Palmerville, in
the school known as the Yadkin Mineral Springs Academy, and
remained here until June, 1898, doing a work of great cultural and
religious influence in Stanly County. Another who belongs to this
decade was W. C. Allen (B.A. 1885), the first graduate