Wake Forest and the Academies, 1865-1905 431
was J. A. Campbell, who in 1887 opened Buie's Creek Academy,
which later became a denominational school and a junior college. At
the same time Mr. Campbell was also County Superintendent of
Public Instruction in Harnett County.
1891-1900
In the next decade, 1891-1900, with an increase in education in all
parts of the State and in the number of students and graduates of the
College there was a corresponding increase in the number of new
Wake Forest men who were teachers, which was about one hundred
and fifty. Great numbers of these, however, labored for only a short
time in the academies of the State; not a few went to universities for
further study; some became county superintendents of public
instruction; others turned to other work. One of those who attained
much distinction was R. L. Moore, a graduate of the class of 1892,
who after teaching five years at Amherst Academy, in Burke County,
in 1897 began his forty year term as president of Mars Hill College
which during his administration became a junior college and in 1927
was duly accredited by the Southern Association of Schools and
Colleges. Another member of the class of 1892 who attained
distinction was J. Paul Spence, who turning to graded school work
was superintendent of schools in several Virginia cities and later in
North Carolina, last of all in New Bern, to which he came in 1901. R.
B. White of the class of 1891 taught at Lane Field Academy near
Warsaw in 1893. In 1894 he took charge of the school at Franklinton;
for twelve years he was Superintendent of Public Instruction of
Franklin County. Another was W. D. Burns (B.A. 1897) who after
work at Morehead City, 1897-98, became principal of Piedmont High
School in Cleveland County, and made it one of the best schools of
the time, one which sent many of its students to Wake Forest and
other colleges. Another was M. B. Dry of the class of 1896, who
devoted his whole life to the work. First, he became principal of the
newly established Wingate High School; in 1907 he took charge of
the Cary High School; when after a few years this became a public
high school he remained as its principal.
Previous Page Next Page