Wake Forest and the Academies, 1865-1905 435
pay off any indebtedness incurred in getting their education. Ac-
cordingly, many who afterwards became lawyers, doctors, business
men, farmers, railroad workers and officials, politicians, and so on,
taught for a year or more after leaving college, as the surest way of
making needed ready money. If they brought a college diploma and
the proper testimonials they were accepted by school boards with
little question as to their purpose in life. They were not required to
have technical pedagogical training; until near the close of this period
there were no departments of education in our colleges. Sometimes
indeed a wise-and troublesome-county superintendent would demand
that those to whom he granted certificates should have read or should
promise to read Page's Theory and Practice of Teaching, but school
boards were ready to accept a bright and aspiring young man just out
of college even though they knew that he expected to remain only a
short time; if they should make the work and place attractive to him,
well and good; but if he would go, he left behind friends with high
hopes of his future, hopes which were often realized. And not seldom
he returned after a few years to claim one of his former students as his
bride.
As many as fifty who afterwards became lawyers taught for longer
and shorter periods in the schools of the State. Among these were two
who afterwards became governors. One of these was W. W. Kitchin,
who taught at Vine Hill Academy, 1884-85, then a year at Dallas,
Texas, and returned to take up the study of law. He was governor
1908-12. The other was T. W. Bickett, who in the year after his
graduation, 1889-90, taught in the Winston graded schools. Several
were elected to represent their districts in Congress. One of these was
John E. Fowler, who in 1891-92 taught in the schools of his native
county, Sampson, and was elected at the election of that year;
afterwards he took up the study of law and became one of the ablest
lawyers of his section. Another, elected in 1892, was C. H. Martin,
who began teaching at Rolesville in 1875, and afterwards, 1882-83, at
Lumberton, and later, beginning in 1885, at Palmersville. Another
was S. M. Brinson, who began teaching in the New Bern graded
schools in
Previous Page Next Page