Until the suspension of the exercises of the College in May, 1862,
the Board of Managers of the Baptist State Convention had the
function of approving and supporting such ministerial students of the
College as needed aid. Of this an account has been given in Chapter
XXXVIII of the first volume of this work.
A change, however, was made at the meeting of the Convention
with the church at Wake Forest, October 29 to November 3, 1862,
when by unanimous vote it was ordered that there should be two
boards, each of seven members, one the Board of Mission, and the
other the Board of Education located at Wake Forest College, and as
members of the Board of Education appointed Elders W. M. Wingate,
T. E. Skinner, W. Royall, W. T. Walters, J. D. Hufham, W. T. Brooks,
and Brother W. J. Palmer. Wingate, Royall, Walters and Brooks were
of Wake Forest, the remaining three of Raleigh. This Board continued
operations until the meeting of the Convention in Raleigh, December,
1914, when under the provisions of a "Simpler Plan," the Board of
Education at Wake Forest College was discontinued, and another of
like name but with enlarged functions was created and located at
Durham for one year and then at Raleigh. As the active members of
the Board created in 1862 were practically all residents of Wake
Forest and most of them members of the College Faculty or Board of
Trustees, and as the work of this Board in the years of its operation,
1865 to 1914, was closely related to, if not a part of, the work of the
College, no history of the College would be complete that omitted an
account of it.
For the first year after its creation the Board was inactive, but at the
Convention meeting at Raleigh in October, 1863, in the discussion of
a report on raising a fund for the education of wounded soldiers, the
Convention voted that the Board of Education should employ an
agent to solicit funds for this purpose, with the in-
Previous Page Next Page