38 History of Wake Forest College
who had published a treatise on the subject, was secured to plan and
direct the work. The road, which had hitherto run straight along the
fence of the Campus was changed to run on a circular curve towards
the railroad so as to embrace the abandoned road and most of the land
of the lots to the east of it. Around the whole curve from one side to
the other were planted osage orange trees with the intention that they
should form a fence to enclose the Campus. Though this purpose was
interfered with by later plans, the general line of the road is still
indicated by such of these trees as have been allowed to survive.8 It
was Major Englehardt who laid out the beautifully curved walks by
which the campus was long
distinguished.9
Though owing to lack of
money the plan of development was not completed for some years, its
general outline was seen from the first and enough had been done
before the end of the year 1869 to excite the favorable comment of
that severe critic, the editor of the Biblical Recorder.10
In order to prevent the depredations of stock which was allowed to
run at large in those years the faculty extended the campus fence so as
to include the new development. This was made of boards, four six-
inch boards nailed horizontically to posts set eight feet apart.11
―――――――
8
The author was mistaken in his statement in volume I p. 193, that the road never
ran straight through what is now the Campus. It did so run until changed under the
plan of Major Englehardt.
9 Verbal statement of Professor L. R. Mills, who insisted that the walks were so
beautiful because the curves in which they were laid out were mathematically
correct.
10
Biblical Recorder, December 22, 1869: "The gullies once in front of the
College have become the graves of the pines which then disfigured the lawn. Beauty
has been substituted for deformity. The taste and skill of Mr. Englehardt have
converted a rugged old field into a lovely and pleasant park. The walks are planned
with taste and the whole work, though not quite completed, is a happy combination
of science and art. The public road has been turned with a rainbow bend and
presents the traveler a refreshing view of a most delightful landscape, and the
extension of the campus towards the railroad displays to the passengers a full view
of the magnificent hill rising with gentle ascent and crowned with the ancient and
venerable college building." Feb. 2, 1870: "Mr. Englehardt is still beautifying the
face of the earth around the College and making it a monument of his taste and
skill."
11 See cut of buildings and grounds on back cover page of catalogue of
1881-82.
Previous Page Next Page