The Town and the Campus 39
It was at this time that the rows of elms now to be seen in the west
of the Campus were set. There were no trees yet in the new part of the
Campus and it was soon growing up in grass and broomsedge. As the
faculty had taken pains to make improvements they were determined
to preserve them, and found it necessary to post conspicuous warnings
that no person should turn stock into the enclosed grounds or "without
special permission" take "any wood, hay, turf, ashes, brush, leaves or
other vegetable matter."
As a means of keeping down the exuberant
growth of weeds and sedge the faculty for a small price allowed the
pasturing of cattle in the Campus, where the cows became fat and
Under the administration of President Wingate a few shrubs and
evergreens, such as firs and yews and spruces, were set in the front of
the Campus,14 but it was under the administration of President Charles
E. Taylor that the development was begun which has given the
grounds their Southern and almost semi-tropical aspect.
In 1885 the Campus was enlarged by extending the enclosure
eastward at right angles to Main Street to within a hundred feet of the
railroad around which the road was run, making turns at right angles
at the corners.15 It was at this time that the stone wall now enclosing
the Campus was begun, and which when completed many years later
made a rectangle of about twenty-five acres. With the erection of new
buildings, it was found necessary to add to the walks and modify
those already made, cutting out some circular walks, which were
more beautiful than convenient, but in doing this President Taylor saw
to it that the curving pattern of walks of Major Englehardt was
continued. It is only
12 Minutes of faculty, December, 1869. President C. E. Taylor, Bulletin of W. F.
C., II, says that the older elms were planted during the administration of Wait.
13 Dr. J. H. Gorrell, "History of the Grounds," Bulletin of Wake Forest College,
14 See picture of buildings and grounds, Catalogue of 1881-82.
On the south side it was necessary to make the veer a little to the north owing
to the encroachment on South Street by the property owners, an encroachment
which still exists.