474 History of Wake Forest College
collections than ever before.29 Encouraged by this increase in funds
those who favored the inclusion of the collection and distribution of
funds for the Seminary in the work of the Board secured the
appointment of a committee at the Convention of 1911 to report at the
next meetings on its advisability. The chairman of this committee was
Dr. W. R. Cullom; the other members, Dr. T. J. Taylor and Dr. W. C.
Tyree. At the next meeting of the Convention in December, 1912, this
committee made its report strongly urging that the work at the College
at Wake Forest and the Seminary at Louisville was one work, and all
should be made the charge and responsibility of the Board of
Education. This was adopted by the Convention, but that in this
matter its corresponding secretary, Dr. Cullom, was not acting in
accord with the views of the Board was made plain at its meeting on
November 30, 1912, when it voted that, "It is the sense of the Board
that its work and that of the Students' Fund of the Seminary would
better not be united into one."
This was the beginning of the end for the Board of Education
located at Wake Forest. It was logically argued that if the Board was
to be an agency of several institutions it should not be under the
domination or controlling influence of any one of them. The final step
in changing the character of the Board was taken by the Convention
in 1914. It was moved to Durham for one year, and then to Raleigh.
Not a member of the new board, except the president of the College,
ex officio, was from Wake Forest. Its corresponding secretary was no
longer a member of the Wake Forest College faculty.
For a half century the Board located at Wake Forest had, as was
intended, been chiefly concerned with promoting the interest of the
denomination by careful supervision and active support of the
education in the College of ministers to serve the churches. It had
done this work with increasing efficiency, and had proved a strong
bond of union between the Baptists of the State and
Possibly a part of this increase in collections was due to the activity and
interest of the associate members, one for each Association, whom, in accord with
the action of the Convention of 1908, the Board appointed.