480 History of Wake Forest College
who had graduated from the College in 1877 with the degree of
Bachelor of Arts, and during the past year had been "engaged in
reading law" at his home in Yanceyville. The faculty were also
empowered to employ a second tutor, but having in mind the financial
embarrassment of the College did not take full advantage of the offer,
but for a salary of $200 secured "one of the undergraduates and
valedictorian of the class of 1879," N. Y. Gulley. At the next
Commencement, June, 1879, Dr. `V. G. Simmons, chairman of the
faculty, bore testimony to "the competence and fidelity of these young
gentlemen."
The special instruction which the Board of Education desired is
indicated in a statement in the catalogues of 1878-79 and four years
following. It was given prominence as a separate "school" along with
other departments of the curriculum and was numbered seven. But it
is particularly stated that the work in it was not credited on degrees,
and that it was designed for young men who intended to enter the
Gospel ministry. Others, however, might take the courses offered.
Those who needed it were given instruction in English Grammar,
Arithmetic, Geography, and History, while the courses specially for
young ministers included Biblical Introduction, Biblical Doctrines,
Ecclesiastical History, and Preparation and Delivery of Sermons. The
venture, however, did not prove satisfactory. The College did not
have a sufficient teaching force, even with the addition of tutors, for
the work. Again, students could not be expected to devote any great
amount of time to courses for which they received no college credit,
and on the other hand it was found that in many cases the time
students devoted or claimed to devote to the courses of this school
was needed for the better preparation of the regular college courses.
Accordingly, the catalogue of 1883-84, under the head of "Ministers,"
says: "It is deemed advisable, generally, that this class of students
should confine themselves to the studies of the regular course, until it
is completed." Of a different character was the School of the Bible,
which began its work in September, 1896; it was not specially
designed for ministerial students, and the work done in it received due
credit on degrees. The Board
Previous Page Next Page