484 History of Wake Forest College
some resources of their own, got only half, and from the first the
Board announced its policy of helping only students that needed help
and only to the extent needed.41 Until the close of the century with
small supplements from other sources beneficiaries could meet their
expenses at the College. N o tuition was charged to ministerial
students and there were few or none of those student activities which
go to swell the cost of a college education at the present day.
Furthermore, the students remained at the College, not leaving it for
any purpose without the express permission of the president, having
his presence checked by the daily roll call; in consequence, traveling
expenses were mostly limited to the trip to and from the college at the
opening and close of the term.
In the period from 1900 to 1915 incidental expenses were some-
what greater, but had not yet reached their present proportions, and
most beneficiaries were able to provide for them out of their own
funds, while the monthly allowance from the Board, which was from
ten to twelve dollars a month, was still sufficient to pay for board and
room rent. In estimates made in reports to the Convention the
corresponding secretary reckoned that in the years 1910-14 the
beneficiary paid one-half his expenses, the Board the other half. In
1941, twenty-seven years after the Board has been removed from
Wake Forest the monthly allowance has fallen to six or seven dollars
and is not enough to pay the matriculation fees charged by the
College, $65 a year, to say nothing of board and room rent.
Should the money expended by the Board on beneficiaries be
regarded as gifts or as loans? At first there was no thought but that
they were gifts, except in the case of a few who on their own request
were allowed to give their notes for small amounts. On September 14,
1893, however, the Board voted that from January 15, 1894, young
men receiving aid from the Board should be required to give their
notes bearing four per cent interest from
41 Minutes of the Board, June 4, 1868. In September, 1893, Professor J. B.
Carlyle was authorized by the Board to consult every beneficiary and find the least
amount needed by him. In this way he saved $30 a month.