486 History of Wake Forest College
shown in their good will to the College and their faithful service to
their churches and the Baptist cause in the State.
One experience of the Board was unsatisfactory. In the year 1904-
05 it began to extend aid to a student on the representation that he
desired to become not a minister of the Gospel but a medical
missionary. But neither this beneficiary nor any of the half dozen
others who before 1915 received aid from the Board on the same
representation went as missionaries to the foreign fields, though
several of them did become physicians. While the Board remained at
Wake Forest none repaid any of the amounts extended in aid.
In addition to the Slate Fund, mentioned above, from which loans
might be made to ministerial students, and the Allen Fund, the income
of which went into the general receipts of the Board of Education, and
both of which are under the administration of that Board, there were
other funds which were made a part of the endowment of the College,
with the stipulation of the donors that the income from them should
be used "for the purpose of paying the board, washing and room-rent
of young men who are preparing for the ministry and are pursuing
their studies in Wake Forest College." One of these was a bequest of
A. C. Melke of Asheville who died on June 1, 1891, having provided
in his will for the establishment of The Carolina Melke Ministerial
Aid Fund, as a memorial to his deceased wife. When first set up it
amounted to about ten thousand dollars.44 Another fund amounting to
about eleven thousand dollars was created in 1901 by the bequest of
Mrs. Virginia Bartlett Yancey Swepson of
44 Mr. A. C. Melke came to America from Germany soon after the Civil War and
began business in Lumberton. He was prosperous and built an elegant summer
home in Asheville. And it was there about four years before his death, "his heart
crushed and bleeding at the loss of his devoted wife, he was led by Dr. W. A.
Nelson to the Saviour, and found joy and peace." He joined the Baptist Church of
Lumberton and was generous with his funds in support of the Orphanage and other
denominational enterprises. In his will he established the bequest named in the text
as a memorial to his wife, and made also other bequests to Robeson Institute, and
the Baptist Female University (Meredith College). See obituary notice by J. B.
Carlyle in the Annual of the Baptist State Convention for 1891.
45 "Virginia Bartlett Yancey Swepson was born in Caswell County, N. C.,