THE ECLIPSE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF
Collegiate education in the State, at Wake Forest College and at
Trinity and Davidson colleges, was profoundly affected by the
reorganization of the University of North Carolina under the
Constitution of 1868. With the new method of electing trustees for the
University, partly by the Board of Education and one from each
county elected by a Legislature friendly to the Governor, the
University passed virtually under the control of Governor W. W.
Holden and his Council of State, all members of which were also ex
officio trustees of the University.
In the reorganization President Swain and all members of the
University faculty were displaced by new officers, with Rev. Solomon
Pool of Elizabeth City as president. All were of Governor Holden's
political party. In keen resentment most former friends of the
University would have nothing to do with the institution and refused
to send their sons to it, one of them declaring that it was "well nigh
destroyed by the hand of misrule and treason."
open and attended by a handful of students the University was
practically unused by its former friends from June, 1868, to
September, 1875. The pay of members of the faculty was
discontinued in February, 1871.
The sorrowful story of the changes at the University is told by
various correspondents of the Biblical Recorder during the years
1868-69. One tells of the hegira of the former able and well beloved
teachers. A paper for July 25, 1868, reads: "Since the surrender,
thirteen families have left this once beautiful village. Governor Swain
is dead. Dr. Hubbard has gone to New York. Professor Hepburn and
Col. Martin have gone west. Professor Fetter is going to Henderson.
Dr. Phillips is expected to move
1 Judge Starbuck, quoted in Battle, History of the University of North Carolina,