Trustees and Endowment, 1865-1872 75
received no additions from outside sources; it owed its enlargement
wholly to reinvestments. During these years, however, the Trustees
made several strenuous efforts to add to the endowment, and for that
purpose employed several agents, of whose labors some account will
be given here.
We have seen that the faculty on December 5, 1865, asked Wingate
to travel to secure funds to help in the operation of the institution, but
he despaired of making any success of such a campaign at that time.
The Trustees, however, were more hopeful. At their meeting on
October 11, 1866, they made an unsuccessful effort to secure as agent
Dr. W. T. Walters, who was no longer teaching, though he deferred
his formal resignation of his professorship until June, 1868.
Failing to secure Walters, the Trustees asked one of their own
number, Elder R. B. Jones, to take the place and he consented. We
have said something of Mr. Jones in the first volume of this work.
Because of waning health and strength he had given up his pastorate
of the Hertford Baptist Church in the summer of 1866 and had come
to Wake Forest on a visit to friends. He had wasted away from a
consumption of the lungs, tuberculosis, from which he had long been
suffering, and was now described as "a walking skeleton," and
suffered from frequent hemorrhages of the lungs. 4
3 Minutes of the Faculty.
There is a slight inaccuracy in the sketch of Elder Jones in Volume I, p. 612.
After his graduation in 1861 he took up the work at Hertford. He died December 17,
1867. Further details in his life are: Serving as a volunteer in the Mexican War,
beneath the hot suns of Monterey, he was found to be suffering so severely from
tuberculosis that he was dismissed from the service. On entering Wake Forest
College in 1849, as a ministerial student, his health again failed him and he was
forced to give up his studies. Then for several years he labored as a missionary of
the Baptist State Convention in the Catawba Valley, with great zeal and success.
During this period he had a part in reassembling the Charlotte Baptist Church and
helping in building for it a new house of worship. Returning to Wake Forest in
1859, he was graduated in 1861 with high honors. After this he became pastor of the
Hertford Baptist Church and labored with revolutionary zeal, but with constantly
declining health, until the summer of 1866, when he was no longer able to carry on
the work, and resigned. In October, 1866, while on a visit
Previous Page Next Page