80 History of Wake Forest College
Philomathesian Society made complaint to the Trustees that their hall
was being greatly damaged by rain, and that their carpet had been
taken up to save it from
ruin.15
Fortunately at this time the Raleigh
and Gaston Railroad stock owned by the College was yielding a
dividend of five per cent in cash in addition to a stock dividend of the
same amount. By using this money and other funds realized from the
sale of two hospital houses, the sale of old zinc, and adding to it
$936.22 undesignated College funds, the necessary repairs were
made. They consisted of recovering the building with tin, painting,
plastering, and making other general repairs, all at a cost of
$2,778.16. The tin roof was so good that it lasted until the building
was destroyed by fire on May 5,
1933.16
15 Phi. Soc. Records, June 7, 1867.
16
Mills, Bulletin of Wake Forest College, II, 158f. Proceedings, p. 135,
November 11, 1865; p. 140, May 24, 1867. Statement of J. S. Purefoy, treasurer,
inserted between pages 72 and 73 of his treasurer's book: "To amount for recovering
building with tin,
painting, plastering, and building privy and
general repairs ……………………….. $2,738.32
Interest on above ………………… 39.84
Credits ………………………………………... $2,778.32
Wood sold ………………………………….………. $6.80
Hospital house sold ......................... ……………… 125.00
Hospital house sold ..........................………………..64.60
Dividend 260 shares R. & G. R. R. Stock ……. ....1,300.00
Tin sold, after covering house......... ………………. 118.40
Old zinc sold ................................... ………………. 113.89
Preservative paint sold .....................…………….….12.00
Lime &c. sold ...................................…………….. . .27.25
J. S. Purefoy's subscription.................…………….. .. 74.00
Paid out of college funds ................ ……………… .936.22
2,778.16 $2,778.16
Repairing College 1872-73 ………… . 123.00
Paid by W. T. Walters.
Previous Page Next Page