pay the debt, since he could secure no equipment for the teams
otherwise. Mr. Crozier coached the baseball for a stipend of $300, and
Dr. W. C. Smith, for three years coached the football team without
compensation, and at times made financial contributions. For the year
1917-18, Mr. G. M. Billings, a student of Medicine, coached both
football and baseball largely from patriotic considerations, and in
1919 Mr. Harry Rabenhorst, a student, for like consideration acted as
football coach. In 1918 Mr. E. T. MacDonnell, and in 1920-21 Mr. J.
L. White served as athletic directors and their compensation was
partly provided by the Trustees. Beginning with the year 1915-16
every student paid through the bursar of the College an annual athletic
fee of five dollars which gave admission to all games played on the
home grounds. This proved of material help to the faculty
With this help and by making good contracts for games, and by
looking after the preservation of equipment and careful purchasing,
the faculty manger got through the seven years without serious loss.
He had served without compensation.
It was in the fall of 1921 that the faculty and Trustees assumed the
financial responsibility as well as full control of all college athletics,
in which they were to have the cooperation of an athletic association.
The direct financial management was put in the hands of Professor J.
G. Carroll, of the department of Mathematics, who held the place for
several years, but for the past decade the members of the athletic
faculty have had full financial control but not individual financial
responsibility; revenues and expenses have grown to considerable
proportions, and are made a regular part of the college budget, and no
inconsiderable part. Largely by the efforts of the athletic faculty many
alumni have become regular contributors to the needs of the athletic
management that are not taken care of by the Trustees. Again, with
seating capacity greatly increased, for basketball in the gymnasium,
for baseball at the newly constructed diamond, and for
For several years the students had been asking for the establishment of such a
fee. Wake Forest Student, XXXII, 114. This fee was increased to ten dollars, five
dollars a term, beginning with September, 1921.