118 History of Wake Forest College
As early as May, 1907, Wake Forest College had a tennis team
which won the Southern Intercollegiate tennis championship, when E.
B. Earnshaw and H. M. Poteat won in both singles and in the doubles,
at a meet in Atlanta. Mr. Poteat won from Mr. Earnshaw in the final
for singles.
Interest in intercollegiate tennis was again manifested at Wake
Forest in 1920 when E. E. Folk and Vann B. Stringfield won the cup
in the state tournament in Greensboro. Since that time, nearly every
year, Wake Forest has trained tennis teams for intercollegiate
contests. For many years the College lacked respectable courts. From
1904 to 1921, there was only one fair court, which was on the
northwest corner of the old athletic field, originally constructed by
tennis players among the faculty; but after the abandonment of the
athletic grounds north of the Library in 1921 the space was used for
tennis courts, which, however, were no more than good clay courts. In
1930-31 three approved courts were constructed on the old hotel
property across the street from the Alumni Building. This was done
under the direction of Professor J. L. Memory who had come to Wake
Forest in 1929, and coached the tennis teams for seven years. Then
the coaching fell to E. E. Folk, who had returned to the College as
Associate Professor of English. The occupation of this space for a
dining hall made another location for tennis courts necessary, and six
new well-oriented courts have been constructed at a cost of $1,500 on
the Old Athletic Field north of the Campus. In these years several
excellent players have been developed for the teams. One of these
was John Vernon, 1929, 1930, 1931, one of the best tennis players the
state has produced. In singles he was the strongest player of the
College in recent years. For three years he and Memory won the
doubles in the Raleigh open tennis tournament and one year won the
North and South Carolina open tournament.12
For details of the athletic teams and contests see the Wake Forest Student, the
Wake Forest Alumni Bulletin, the Howler, Old Gold and Black, and the newspaper
reports of
Previous Page Next Page