The Library 149
adding many cards and making it a dictionary catalogue with title
cards for most books; and from January 15, 1915, by Mrs. E. T.
Crittenden.
In 1924, however, the need of a full-time cataloguer had become
imperative, and for that place was chosen Miss Isabel F. Starbuck,
B.S., a trained librarian, who did her work with much efficiency, but
in 1928 resigned to accept a place in the Boston Public Library. She
was succeeded by Miss Ellen W. Ewing, also a trained librarian with
experience in cataloguing, who has served since that time. Like her
predecessor she has been most efficient in her work, which has
greatly increased. Year by year the regular accessions of books and
pamphlets become larger and larger; the number of periodicals
regularly bound and of rebindings is also larger. In these years there
have been added several large collections, some, like the Pittman
Collection of several thousand books and pamphlets, all requiring
classification and cataloguing. At the same time large numbers of
cross reference cards have been added, and thousands of corrections
made in the interest of making the catalogue as complete an index as
possible of the library. To keep up with the work the cataloguer now
finds it necessary to devote to it several weeks in the summer.
What to do with the Library in the summer was a problem which
the faculty from the first found difficult. In June, 1880, they voted to
keep it open one hour on each Saturday of the vacation period, and
authorized the employment of a librarian, but there is no record of any
appointment. For the next summer they appointed Mr. T. J. Simmons,
librarian, and Mr. W. H. Riddick, superintendent of the Reading
Room. Again in 1883 the same appointment went to Mr. Simmons,
and he was informed that his compensation would consist in his use
of the Library. In June, 1882, each member of the faculty was
constituted librarian for the vacation, an arrangement which held for
nearly fifty years, since it required no duties, except possibly to make
record of some book that was borrowed, and was only the recognition
of the right to have a key and use the Library at will. During the
summer school of 1897-99 the Curator with the help of
Previous Page Next Page