The Library 151
abandoned, and President Poteat reported to the Trustees: "We shall
have to improve our present library arrangements. More stacks for
books now lying on the floor will have to be provided." With the
opening of the session of 1908-09 a new reading room was provided
in the room formerly occupied by Professor Mills as bursar's office
and classroom, the lower floor of the entire south end of the Heck-
Williams Building. The former reading room in the central portion
was used for stacks, which for a year or two relieved the congestion.
Connection between the two was provided by cutting a doorway
under the staircase leading to the hall of the Euzelian Society. For the
first time now there was no open access to the books of the stacks.
The more important reference books were readily available, being
placed on shelves on the north side of the new reading
only from necessity that the students were no longer allowed to go to
the shelves and handle the books; the educational value of this was
often emphasized by Dr. C. E. Taylor.
In May, 1911, Mr. Ellington resigned and in his place Miss Louise
P. Heims was chosen librarian. She had been trained in library
science, having been a student in that subject both at Drexel Institute
and at the University of Pennsylvania, and for a year served on the
library staff of the latter. With her one student assistant she did all that
was humanly possible in improving the library; she made corrections
in the classifications and cataloguing, adding title-cards of many
volumes and introduced a new charging system; she gave users of the
library prompt and intelligent service, and knew how to make the
resources of the library immediately available. She was also able to
suggest many books suitable for the lighter reading of the students.
Soon, however, the shelves were again overflowing with books, and
though new stacks were placed from time to time, both during her ad-
ministration and that of her successor, many books and pamphlets had
to lie on the floor. One bad effect of the addition of new
13 Professor Mills expressed his satisfaction that his former office and classroom
was to be used for library purposes; shortly before he had been compelled to
relinquish his work on account of ill health.