152 History of Wake Forest College
stacks was to shut off the light and darken the room. Furthermore, as
this was before the days of vacuum cleaners at least, for the library-
and as help was scarce, it was difficult to keep the dust from
accumulating on books and floor.
Miss Heims remained at Wake Forest for three and a half years,
leaving in January, 1915, to accept a position in the New York Public
Library. Her place was taken by Mrs. Ethel Taylor Crittenden, a
daughter of former President Taylor. At the time of her election the
new librarian had little special training, but being a young woman of
much intelligence and a lifelong acquaintance with books she had
little difficulty in supplying her lack by private study and courses in
approved library schools during the summer vacations. She has
continued as librarian until now (September, 1943), and under her
guidance the Library has had a remarkable development.
Until 1926 the lack of room continued. In almost all her annual
reports to the Trustees during this period the Librarian makes piteous
pleas for more adequate facilities, which became the more insistent
with the increase in the number of books, from 20,000 in 1915 to
32,000 in May, 1926. With this condition it was impossible for the
Library to function as it should in the service of the College. But in
November, 1926, was completed the extension of the Heck-Williams
Building, of which an account will be given in the chapter on
Buildings and Grounds. Its new steel stacks for several years provided
room and to spare for all books and pamphlets.
Barely a decade had passed, however, before the shelves in the new
stack room were full and overflowing. The number of accessioned
volumes had increased to more than 50,000 in June, 1937, and it had
become necessary to send about 5,000 of these to the attics of the
Library Building and the Social Science Building (the Old
Gymnasium), mostly duplicates and the more bulky and less used
books. Many other volumes were in several departmental libraries,
that of English established about 1912, and those of psychology,
chemistry and physics. Not a few volumes belonging to the general
library were also in the library
Previous Page Next Page