The Library 153
of the School of Medicine. Again, the congestion of books in the
stacks has become serious and the cry for room is heard. The College
greatly needs a Library with accommodations for books and service
several times as great as the
An account has already been given of the cataloguers. Other
assistants were also needed. Soon after her assumption of the duties of
Librarian Mrs. Crittenden had her request granted for additional
student assistants, and she had the help of five or six until May, 1922.
At that time Miss Hannah Holding was added to the staff as assistant
librarian; her duties include the lending of books and general
oversight of library and the reading rooms; in her work she has
proved most capable and efficient. In 1930 Miss Nancy Cullom (now
Mrs. Lawrence Harris) was added to the staff, her chief duties being
to assist the Librarian with the correspondence and secretarial work.
In 1922, on the appointment of Miss Holding as assistant librarian
the number of student assistants was somewhat reduced, but soon the
services of as many as ever were needed. Even with these and the
relief brought by the appointment of a trained cataloguer Mrs.
Crittenden found that the strain of overwork had been so taxing that it
was necessary for her to spend the entire school year of 1925-26 in
recuperating her lost strength, during which time Miss Starbuck, the
cataloguer, served as Acting Librarian.
With the occupation of the extension to the Library a new era began
in the history of the Library. There was now ample space for the
orderly placing of books on the new steel stacks; the fireproof
structure relieved anxiety of loss by fire. In the vacant spaces in the
stack room were set, as needed, spacious steel cabinets, where the
many rare and valuable books and docu-
Reports of Librarian to the Board of Trustees, especially that of 1937. The
present stackroom if it had been furnished with stacks of the design first chosen
could easily provide shelves for 20,000 additional volumes, by a second story of
stacks; unfortunately stacks of another pattern were substituted at the last moment.
Soon after the death of Dr. Charles E. Taylor, on November 5, 1915, a movement
was begun to erect a "Taylor Memorial Library," but the increasing absorption of
the country in the World War, then in progress, interfered with it.