154 History of Wake Forest College
ments could be kept, free from danger from thieves, dampness and
vermin. With new methods of removing dust it was now possible to
keep the floors and the books on the shelves clean. At the same time
the moving of the School of Law left the first floor of the north wing
of the Heck-Williams Building for the library, and both north and
south wings on this floor were now connected with the central portion
by the removal of parts of the walls, and both were provided with
shelves, those in the north room being used for more general
reference books, and those in the south room for books of a more
popular nature which the students were free to handle and either read
in the room or borrow. In the south room also were the newspaper
racks, the card catalogue, and the Spilman Collection in locked cases.
Both wings and the front of the central portion were fitted for reading
rooms, with tables, chairs and lights, furnishing accommodations for
more than 100 readers. In the central portion, facing the front door,
was placed the loan desk or counter, shutting off the entire end and
opening by a central door to the stacks in the rear. On the shelves on
each side of this door were placed groups of books selected by the
instructors for special reference and parallel reading by members of
their classes which might be read in the Library or taken out over
night and during holidays.
In another respect the larger quarters made it possible to improve
the service of the Library; this was the keeping of it open for longer
hours. It is now open continuously from eight o'clock a.m., to 10:30
p.m., except on Saturdays when it is open only until noon, and on
Sundays when it is open only two hours in the afternoon.
In this period the circulation was greatly increased, both absolutely
and relatively. The first report of this was made by Miss Louise P.
Heims in her first year as librarian, May, 1912, and shows that from
October 1, 1911, to April 25, 1912, the books let out on loan
numbered 1,271; in that year the College had 435 students. The
circulation for the year ending June 30, 1938, seemingly including the
summer school, was 10,920; the number of reserve books lent for use
in the building and overnight was
Previous Page Next Page