162 History of Wake Forest College
gifts extended over a period of two decades, and were often specially
selected by Mr. Smith from libraries that he had purchased. His last
large gift was in July, 1922, when he had already left Raleigh, leaving
some eight or ten thousand books on his shelves, from which he gave
the Library permission to get any that its officers might care
for.19
With this free hand the agent of the Library secured about 500
volumes, the greater part consisting of Acts of the Assembly of the
State of North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia, and other
official documents and publications of the State, of which about 300
were immediately catalogued. Probably the total gifts of Mr. Smith
amount to more than 1,000; many are of literary and many of
religious nature.
Mr. Harold E. Porter, whose pen name was "Holworthy Hall," was
one of the large contributors to the
Library.20
In 1921-22 he made a
gift of 500 volumes of recent fiction; he also made several additional
gifts of like nature later, probably a total of 1,000 volumes. Not all
was fiction; there was a sumptuous edition of Pausanias, of 1696.
Another giver who contributed books both of a literary and of a
technical kind was Dr. Harry Heck, a graduate of the College with the
degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1897. In 1914 he gave a collection,
about 100 volumes, many of them being the works of the minor poets
of the nineteenth century, such as Austin Dobson, Praed and Lewis
Morris. After his death, Mrs. Heck, in 1919, added 100 additional
volumes, mostly on sociological subjects.
Another valuable collection which came to the Library about 1930
for a nominal sum, since the owner did not wish his books to be
scattered and lost, was that of Mr. Oran Alston Hanner of Siler City.
It consisted of many valuable books of classic literature, many of
them collected by the Hanner family in the early
―――――
19 The commission was entrusted to G. W. Paschal of the Library Committee,
who took a truck and brought it back full of books.
20 Mr. Porter became interested in the Library because of his friendly association
with Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Earnshaw.
Previous Page Next Page