A development during President Taylor's administration was a
summer school, which, however, was short-lived, being conducted for
the years 1897, 1898, and 1899.
As was said above, regular instruction in Law was begun in the
summer of 1894, and not in the regular session, according to the
announcement in the catalogue of 1893-94. From that time the
Summer School of Law was conducted during the remaining years of
President Taylor's administration, and has continued until now, with
some modification after the end of Professor Gulley's deanship. For
many years it was financially independent of the College, but from
the first work done in the Summer School was accredited in a
somewhat limited way, at first six and later ten semester hours, on the
requirements for degrees. The course continued for ten weeks.
Possibly stimulated and encouraged by the success of the Summer
School of Law, the faculty, in June, 1895, began to consider the
establishment of a summer school for teachers. This committee did
not report until May 22, 1896, when President Taylor for the
committee reported adversely. But sentiment in favor of the summer
school grew stronger, and a new committee consisting of Poteat,
Gulley and Carlyle reported in December, 1896, that they had taken
steps towards its establishment, and on January 29, 1897, that they
had fixed the opening of the school for June 23, and its close for July
23. The movement for the summer school for teachers received the
greater favor because it was joined with another movement for
holding a Pastors' Institute at the same time, arrangements for the
latter being referred to a committee consisting of Professors Royall,
Cullom and Gorrell. These matters were reported to the Trustees at
their meeting in June, 1897, with the assurance of President Taylor
that they called for no expense on the part of the Board.
Previous Page Next Page