Summer School 177
In the next year, since the attendance at the Pastors' Institute was
smaller than was expected, it was no longer held in connection with
the summer school but later was continued at the College with more
success in the winter under the general direction of Dr. W. R. Cullom,
and finally grew into the annual Pastors' Schools at Meredith and
Mars Hill. The summer school, however, was continued for two years
more. It was approved by the Board of Trustees, and its Executive
Committee, at meetings in Raleigh on September 6, 1898, and
February 11, 1899, advised strong efforts for increasing its patronage,
the employment of as many specialists as possible for courses of
lectures, and early advertising, and made an appropriation of $400 to
be used by the faculty as they saw
fit.4
The attendance showed little
improvement, however, and after the third term in the summer of
1899, the interest of the faculty waned. It was "at considerable
sacrifice," said President Taylor in his report to the Board in May,
1898, that the members of the faculty did their part, since after the
special lectures were paid, and other incidental expenses met, the
$400 appropriation of the Trustees and most of the fees from the
students were exhausted, and hardly enough was left for the teachers
of the regular college faculty to pay expenses. They were being driven
at a hard pace. Their work in the regular session was heavy; during
their vacation each member was expected to canvass an assigned
district for new students; the summer school consumed the greater
part of the period and left little time for recreation. After three years
of it they were in a humor to balk, and they did. On November 20,
1899, they referred the matter to the Trustees, and a week later they
voted that "it would not be well to hold a summer school next summer
unless in connection with a new department of Pedagogy." When
later, on February 20, 1900, President Taylor read a communication
from the secretary of the Board of Trustees, stating that they had
voted an appropriation of $400 for the purpose, the faculty by a vote
of four to three
―――――
4 N. B. Broughton, W. N. Jones, and Carey J. Hunter, were those chiefly
interested on the Executive
Committee.
Previous Page Next Page