178 History of Wake Forest College
refused to appoint a committee to arrange for it, and instructed the
President to advise the executive committee of the Board that because
of "the prospective chaotic conditions of the buildings, which would
be under repair during the next summer they thought that the summer
school should be suspended for the year 1900." There was no further
summer school, except that of Law, at Wake Forest until 1921.
THE SUMMER SCHOOL, 1921
It was during President Poteat's administration that the second
summer school was established as an organic part of the work of the
College in the College of Liberal Arts. After 1899, as before, the
School of Law regularly had its summer session, and occasionally for
the ten or twelve years preceding 1921 some member of the faculty,
would on request give instruction to one, two or three or more
students in some course in his department, which work would be
accepted by the faculty with the credits recommended by the
professor. The number of such courses was so small as to be
negligible.5
It was in the fall of 1920 that the faculty and Board of Trustees
began to think of establishing a summer school, their thoughts and
actions being stimulated by urgency from without, that is, from the
North Carolina State Department of Education, which was started on
its program of furnishing better teachers for the public schools. In the
preceding year Dr. E. C. Brooks, who had succeeded Dr. J. Y. Joyner
as State Superintendent of Public Instruction, inaugurated a plan for
improving the quality of teachers in the public schools. The first
important step in that plan was an act of the General Assembly of
1919 declaring that teachers' salaries should be in accord with
preparation; this act rendered it necessary to have a uniform standard
for teacher certification, and for its operation to be in the hands of the
State Department of Education. Then it was discovered that of the
12,970 white teachers employed in the public schools, including
―――――
5
Nearly all these courses were offered by Dr. J. H. Gorrell, professor of modern
languages, who could never rest except when he was at work.
Previous Page Next Page