Summer School 187
grade certificate, which many after a few years accomplished. Most of
these were women, and noble women many of them were. They soon
attained on the Campus both among the students and the members of
the faculty that honor and respect and appreciation which they had
won for themselves in the school and society where they had lived
and labored.
Both the classes mentioned no longer exist, or at least are now
eliminated from the summer school, which in recent years has become
little more than an extra term of the regular work of the College. The
faculty in 1941 was nearly the same as in the regular session, with the
addition of a few members of the faculty of Meredith College which
in 1933 joined Wake Forest College in order to furnish the students of
Meredith the accommodations of summer study that many students of
Wake Forest had found economical and helpful. That is, the chief
purpose of Meredith was to enable its students to make up
deficiencies that they had on account of sickness or other causes,
while some by doing the work of three summer schools might shorten
their course a full
year.13
The dean of Meredith and some of its
professors helped their students in planning their courses. For several
years Meredith College regularly graduated some of these students at
the summer school commencements, of which an account will be
found below.
Beginning with the summer of 1935 and continuing through 1941,
the summer school, known as the Wake Forest-Meredith Summer
School, operated a coordinate division at Mars Hill, assuming full
responsibility for the character of courses and instruction there. Until
1941 Professor B. Y. Tyner of Meredith College was in charge of that
division, while his colleagues on the Meredith College faculty did the
greater part of the instruction there.
In 1925 and 1926 the Summer School had a branch known as
Neuse Forest, near New Bern. Of this Dr. A. C. Reid, Professor of
Philosophy, was in charge. It had 125 students the
―――――
13
See the statement of President Charles E. Brewer in the Summer School
Bulletin of April, 1933.
Previous Page Next Page