196 History of Wake Forest College
the building, afterwards named for them, he indicated that steps had
already been taken towards the erection of a second building of which
he indicated the plan, a large chapel and four recitation rooms.11
Interest in the other building, which later became known as
Wingate Memorial Hall, was intensified by the death of President
Wingate on February 27, 1879. On April 23, following, the executive
committee of the Board of Trustees appointed Rev. J. S. Purefoy to
receive subscriptions of money and material, and to report at the full
meeting of the Board at the commencement in June. Mr. Purefoy set
about the work with his usual industry and zeal, first subscribing for
himself $1,000 of the $10,000 it was estimated that the new building
would cost. He had done much of the work by that time.12 When Mr.
W. H. Pace, a member of the building committee, called for other
subscriptions at the close of a meeting in honor of Wingate at the
Commencement the amount raised then added to previous sub-
scriptions was found to be $7,500, and there seemed to be no doubt
that the remainder would be raised just as needed, as indeed it was,
with probably a considerable deficit made up by Mr. Purefoy who
could not endure to see any lag in a project to build a memorial to his
friend.
It had been the purpose to lay the corner stone at the com-
――――――――――
11 Pritchard in the Biblical Recorder of May 15, 1878: "It is moreover to be hoped
that the friends of the College in Raleigh will erect another building to be converted
into a large chapel and four recitation rooms. It is thought that the erection of these
two buildings during the present summer would put the College many years ahead
of its present status. We understand that several Baptists of Raleigh, of wealth and
position, are considering a proposition to erect this building." In an editorial note of
the same issue it is said: "Brethren Heck and Williams have signed the contract for
Science Hall, and part of the money has been subscribed for the erection of the
other. The brethren here are able and willing to do it." In the same paper of June 19,
1878, is the statement: "Major Vass of Raleigh has offered $1,000 towards the
erection of the other building, and we expect in a short time to see the walls rising."
12
Biblical Recorder, June 18, 1879: "Rev. J. S. Purefoy, the most zealous friend
the College has ever had, and the man who above all others has done most for its
material prosperity, has been actively employed for some weeks in raising
subscriptions in money and
material."
Previous Page Next Page