198 History of Wake Forest College
building, except that it was on ground more sloping than the other,
which made necessary a much higher basement at the southern end.
The entire upper story was devoted to the Large Chapel, or Memorial
Hall as it was sometimes called. It was reached by two stairways from
an entrance in the northern end. From the landing reached by these
stairways the auditorium was entered by a central double door and
two side doors. The seats looked to south, and were benches which
were so set on the slightly sloping floor as to be uncomfortable, and
the discomfort to a less degree continued even after the bases of the
seats, many years after, had been recut. There was also a gallery
extending over the stairways and the landing. The total seating
capacity was about eight hundred, or possibly nine hundred counting
those who might be seated on the uncurtained platform. In the center
of the wall to the back of the platform was hung a crayon portrait of
Dr. Wingate, and afterwards in this hall were hung portraits mostly in
oil and well framed, of many who had been prominently connected
with the College. Among them were those of W. D. Moseley, whose
casting vote had secured the Institute charter in 1833; Alfred Dockery,
J. S. Purefoy, W. G. Simmons, R. H. Marsh, Samuel Wait, George W.
Thompson, T. E. Skinner, James McDaniel, J. B. Carlyle, Martin
Ross, J. D. Hufham, J. C. McNeill, Len G. Broughton, W. L. Poteat,
N. Y. Gulley, W. H. Pace, many of them the work of well-known
artists, all of which were lost in the fire that destroyed the building.
They were insured for about $5,000. For many years the lighting was
by chandeliers of kerosene lamps hung from the ceiling. These were
exchanged for lamps making their own gas, which proved very
unsatisfactory, but were used for only a few years when about 1914
the electricity was got from a newly constructed town plant.
On the first floor the central portion was used for a small chapel,
the entrance to which was through a doorway in the projecting front.
This seated comfortably from 250 to 300. Until September, 1885, it
was the place of all the services of the Wake Forest Baptist Church,
but on the 13th of that month, the preaching