Buildings and Grounds 213
Work was begun on October 24, 1923; the building
was ready for occupation in June, 1924. The corner stone was not set
in place until October 6, 1924, when it was laid with proper
ceremonies, which were opened with Scripture reading, 1 Kings 6:12-
14: 8: 28-30, by Rev. Paul Bagby. Then the building was presented by
Dr. J. W. Nowell, chairman of the building committee, and received
by President W. L. Poteat. Many articles, chiefly of college and
denominational interest, were put in the stone.41
In the summer of 1924 the construction of the central heating plant
was begun, on the Gore property opposite the northwest corner of the
Campus, and was completed and installed in all the college buildings
in the following December. Its total cost was $85,525.42 With
additions and the coal trestle its value in 1937 was placed at
The accommodations of the Heck-Williams Building had long been
inadequate for the increasing number of books, which in the College
catalogue of 1925-26 was reported at 31,364 bound volumes.
Accordingly, early in the year 1926 the Board of Trustees made plans
for the erection of an addition to that building. The plans were drawn
by Wilson, Berryman and Kennedy, architects, and the contract was
let on May 24, 1926, to the Atlantic Bridge Company of Greensboro,
on its bid of $41,856. The steel stacks, of latest and most approved
patterns, cost $5,300. The total cost, including that of other
furnishings, was $50,000. It is of fireproof construction in the lower
story. The building committee, consisting of President Poteat, R. E.
Royall, E. W. Timberlake, J. H. Gorrell and W. H. Holliday, accepted
the building on November 13, 1926.44
Financial Report of Board of Trustees, 1937.
41 Bulletin of Wake Forest College, New Series, XIX, October, 1924, 34f.
College catalogue, 1925, p. 13.
43 At the opening of the Summer School in June, 1924, the heating plant was
under construction, and the ditches running through all parts of the Campus with the
excavated earth on each side of them were very unsightly and caused much distress
to the students, especially the women among them.
44 Bulletin of Wake Forest College, New Series, XXI, November, 1926, p. 65f.