216 History of Wake Forest College
College School of Medicine at the time of his death by automobile
accident, November 24, 1927. This building stands in the northern
side of the Campus facing North Main Street as it turns north in
double track. It is modern in all details and provided adequately for
the School of Medicine, according to the highest standards. The cost
of building was $44,360.81. Since the transfer of the School of
Medicine to Winston-Salem in 1941, this building is used for the pre-
medical sciences, and it provides temporary quarters for the Simmons
Art Museum.
At the Commencement of 1933 the Board of Trustees authorized
the erection of a new administration building on the site of the old
College Building. The money for it was provided partly from that
recovered on insurance on the buildings burned, and partly from a
fund already on hand, and partly from contributions by the alumni for
the purpose which were solicited by Professor J. L. Memory. The
architect was Mr. W. H. Deitrick; the contractor was George W. Kane
of Durham. It is a three-story structure and slightly larger than the old
College Building, though on the same general outline, and with more
ornamental detail. It contains no dormitories, but the central part on
the first and second floor contains the administrative offices arranged
around a large lobby. The west half of the third floor is divided into
three sections, a band room in the center, the hall of the Euzelian
Literary Society on the south end, and that of the Philomathesian
Literary Society on the north end. The remainder of the building is
used for classrooms and offices of members of the faculty. The cost of
building was $81,024.31. By order of the Board of Trustees it is
called Wait Hall in honor of the founder of the College.
The new Gymanisum was built in the year 1934-35, largely from
funds contributed by the alumni, partly on the solicitation of Professor
J. L. Memory. The total cost was $128,024.70 to which the largest
contributor was Mr. D. B. Olive. The architect was Mr. W. H.
Deitrick, and the builder George W. Kane of Durham. It is on the
northwest corner of Wingate and Middle streets near the western
entrance to the Campus. It is modern
Previous Page Next Page