218 History of Wake Forest College
was placed a house moved from its former site just north of the
In 1915 the Trustees purchased the Walters property, about 155
acres. This was done on the earnest representation of Dr. G. W.
Paschal, faculty manager of athletics, that it was needed for the
athletic development of the College. The purchase price was $21,000.
The property fronts on Wingate Street opposite the Campus from
West Avenue to the Durham Road, and extends to the Raleigh-Oxford
highway, a mile to the northwest. On it, facing the Campus, were two
dwellings, one of them the residence of Dr. Calvin Jones, which with
most of the land now acquired had been sold to Professor John B.
White on October 30, 1842, who as he was leaving Wake Forest in
1853 sold it to Professor W. T. Walters, whose heirs still held it in
In 1930 the College came into the possession also for the second
time of the fifty-two to fifty-five acres lying north of the Walters
property, which in 1842 had been sold to Professor W. T. Brooks, and
in 1930 was owned by the children of his daughter, Mrs. J. C.
Caddell. The purchase price (including the cost of four acres of the
original tract bought from Mrs. J. M. Brewer) was $16,000. On it
were three dwellings, one of them the family residence opposite the
northwest corner of the Campus.
In 1939 and 1940 for the purposes of a football stadium, of which
an account will be given below, the College acquired about forty
acres lying to the north of the Caddell property. Of this, eight acres on
which is the spring called "Rock Spring" and also "Indian Spring,"
was the gift of Dr. Charles E. Brewer. A rectangle of twenty-three
acres to the north, designed for parking, was part of the farm property
sold by the College to Isham Holding in June, 1841; the remainder
was part of the lands sold to Dr. Samuel Wait on June 28, 1842.
In addition to the above the College has acquired by purchase all
the Purefoy Hotel property opposite the Alumni Building and
extending one block to the south, at a cost of nearly $25,000, and the
Simmons property, at a cost of about $10,000.
All told the lands of the College in one continuous tract are