220 History of Wake Forest College
$14,000, were donated by him and his wife, Mrs. Bruce Brewer Gore,
and his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. D. L. Gore of Wilmington, of
some of whose large benefactions mention has been made above. The
field when finished was the best athletic field in the State. It was 450
feet by 540 feet; on it was a well oriented baseball diamond of
outfield depth beyond the reach of the most powerful batter, and
convenient for the spectators on the concrete bleachers. On it also
were two gridirons for football. When it was finished in 1922 a new
era in the intercollegiate athletics of the College began; it was the first
time that the College had adequate grounds for the training of its
teams in the three major sports of track, football, and baseball, and
proper fields for intercollegiate contests. From this time respect for
Wake Forest College and its athletics has been greater both among its
students and alumni and among those of other institutions. In
accepting the gift on October 18, 1921, the Trustees voted that the
new athletic field be named "The Gore Athletic Field," and by this
name it continued to be called until about 1938, when through ways
the historian has not been able to trace the Gore name was transferred
to the magnificent new gymnasium, which now carries the name,
"The Gore Gymnasium" on the pediment over its porch. But the
loyalty and interest of Mr. Claude Gore in providing for the
construction of the field will always be gratefully remembered.
With the purchase in 1930 of the Caddell property adjacent to
"Gore Athletic Field" a larger development became possible. This
attracted the attention of Mr. Henry H. Groves of Gastonia, an
alumnus of the College of the class of 1913, whose intelligence,
business ability and energy had brought him great success in the
textile industry. Hoping to provide better grounds both for baseball
and football he became responsible for the enlargement of the athletic
field to more than twice its original size, all on the same level. On the
new development has been constructed a baseball field with a grass
diamond, and with seats for 3,500, with new gates for this portion of
the grounds and with ample parking space. All this was done at a cost
of nearly $20,000. So it has
Previous Page Next Page