Buildings and Grounds 221
come about that chiefly owing to the benefactions of two of the
alumni and their friends, and without help from the federal
government, the College has an athletic ground large enough for the
maneuverings of a regiment of soldiers in the time of war (1943), and
with two gridirons for football practice, and several baseball
diamonds, and spacious grounds for track meets. To avoid confusion,
and in appreciation of the loyalty and generosity of Mr. Groves the
entire field is now called "The Groves Athletic Field."
Mr. Groves's interest in provision for athletics of the College
continued. After the development of the athletic field of which an
account has just been given, it was found that to be fully equipped the
College must have a football stadium. Several plans for its building
were considered, but the one which finally prevailed was for a new
stadium. The site selected is nearly a half mile to the north of the
Campus. The stadium proper is beautifully located in a forest of trees,
mostly pines, though which here and there open distant vistas of hill
and valley. It is of the best modern construction, with seats for
15,400, and with press and guest boxes on the south side. In the
surrounding grounds are ample parking spaces, about twenty-five
acres on each side, at present only partly developed. These parking
spaces are approached from the north and south by a half-dozen roads
connecting with highways leading in all directions, so that large
traffic can move without congestion. Of the total cost, $105,000, Mr.
Henry Groves contributed $25,000; it was his known interest and pur-
pose to contribute largely that encouraged those in charge to conceive
and complete the project. Accordingly, it bears the name, "The
Groves Stadium."
Of provisions for lawn tennis, a sufficient account is found in the
chapter on Athletics in the period of the administration of President
Poteat.
Previous Page Next Page