novations as intercollegiate athletics, and in 1914 found himself
willing to leave the guidance of the College to others who favored
such things. He had been a valuable member of the Board; at his
death, December 7, 1914, he made large bequests to other
denominational enterprises.6 Another group of ministers of the Gospel
who began their services as Trustees in the years 1879-91 was
composed of such men as Needham Bryan Cobb, George W.
Sanderlin, H. A. Brown and George W. Greene. N. B. Cobb served
longer than the others, 1879 till his death, May 31, 1905. He
graduated from the University of North Carolina in 1854, and being
admitted to the bar practiced law until 1859, when he withdrew from
the Episcopal Church and became a Baptist, and also in the same year
left the law for the gospel ministry. He was & man of varied
capacities, was a chaplain in the Confederate States Army, 14th N. C.
Regiment; was a good writer, and a careful and accurate historian,
having done much investigation in the early Baptist history of the
State. His regular work, however, was in the gospel ministry, and he
served many churches, being an able rather than a popular preacher;
but his services were valuable to the State, the College and the
denomination. Sanderlin was pastor at Goldsboro and served as
trustee from 1883 till 1895. H. A. Brown had the advantage of being
in a strategic position; as pastor of the Baptist Church in Winston-
Salem, he was much beloved and won friends for the College and
other denominational enterprises with which lie was connected. He
resigned as trustee in 1914. He died, April 25, 1929. George W.
Greene served only one year, from June,
6 See sketches by Dr. Livingston Johnson and Dr. R. T. Vann in the Biblical
Recorder, December 23, 1914. Dr. Johnson says: "During the last third of a Century
there has not been an important denominational movement launched to which he did
not give whole-hearted support and substantial financial aid. He was a trustee of
Wake Forest College for many years and made contributions to the endowment of
that institution on more than one occasion. He was a trustee of Meredith College at
the time of his death, and gave liberally to this school for girls. It was to the
Orphanage, however, that he made the most important contributions.... Most
appropriate were the words on the plate which was attached to the lid of his casket.
They were: 'A friend of the fatherless'."