Commencements 263
beginning his great career as a Baptist preacher in Virginia, 1873; and
Professors C. H. Toy and William Williams of the Southern Baptist
Theological Seminary, 1870, 1871. In the next two decades the
preachers were not seldom men who occupied important positions
among the Baptists of the North. Among these were P. S. Henson,
1878, a Virginian at that time serving a Philadelpha church; Wayland
Hoyt, 1880, who had served important churches in Brooklyn and
Boston; George Dana Boardman, 1886, whose chief pastorate had
been in Philadelphia; Thomas Armitage, 1887, pastor of the Fifth
Avenue Baptist Church in New York City and author of a history of
the Baptists, and G. C. Lorimer, at that time pastor of the Tremont
Temple Baptist Church in Boston. As great as was the ability of these
famous ministers of the North, not inferior were those from the South.
Heading the list was John A. Broadus, who twice, 1879 and 1891,
preached the commencement sermon. Some of those who heard him
on the latter occasion will never forget the power of his appeal to
young men to keep themselves pure as he preached from the text in
Paul's Epistle to the Philippians, "Whatsoever things are are true," etc.
Other Southern preachers of this time were F. M. Ellis of Baltimore,
1885, whom editor Bailey of the Biblical Recorder considered
unexcelled; W. T. Whitsitt, 1888, of the Seminary at Louisville;
Carter Helm Jones, 1892, and J. W. Carter of the First Baptist Church
of Raleigh. In the number were also two Wake Forest men, A. C.
Dixon, 1893, who was called again to preach the sermon in 1920, and
E. M. Poteat, among the ablest preachers of their time.
The above were those chosen by the graduating class. Since their
time those whom the faculty has chosen have not uniformly been
preachers of such recognized worth, although among them have been
many of nation-wide prominence. Such were J. B. Hawthorne of
Atlanta, 1900; E. C. Dargan, 1903; and E. Y. Mullins, 1906; Kyle M.
Yates, 1936; and W. O. Carver, 1937, all of the Southern Baptist
Theological Seminary. For several years, 1910 to 1916, with the
exception of 1914, in accord with a plan of President Poteat, the same
man was secured for both
Previous Page Next Page