Commencements 271
construction of the underpass of the railroad in 1938 and the
consequent rearrangement of walks it was placed in its present
position. At the same time the semi-circular stone bench, the gift of
the class of 1928, was moved from its original place in front of the
administration building and set up to form with the Arch a part of the
entrance. The class of 1911 presented the marble drinking fountain
which stands in front of the administration building in a speech by the
class president, Mr. Asa P. Gray, who declared it "a symbol of our
love, loyalty and devotion to our Alma Mater." Other gifts were: by
the class of 1918 a Service Flag bearing forty-one stars, one for each
member of the class in service; by the class of 1920 a monument to
the Wake Forest enlisted men who lost their lives in the war, set up
the next fall with fitting ceremonies; by the class of 1925 a piano; by
the class of 1928, the semi-circular stone seats already mentioned,
now at the entrance of the Campus opposite the underpass; by the
class of 1930, subscription in cash and pledges of $2,844 for the
alumni loyalty building fund; by the class of 1935, sponsor
subscriptions of five dollars by each member for the rag paper edition
of Paschal's History of Wake Forest College.
There has been little out of the ordinary in the graduating exercises
at Wake Forest. After the Civil War as before it the members of the
graduating class continued to march to the hall in procession. It was
not until about 1912 that the graduates were dressed in caps and
gowns. Later, the members of the faculty also assumed academic garb
but from the early years they and the trustees marched in academic
procession with the students. Once in the hall the exercises were
opened with prayer; then followed speeches by members of the
graduating class. In the early years when the classes were small all
members were expected to speak, but it was possible to be excused on
the presentation of a thesis. Early in the eighties, however, the number
of graduates had become so great, that it was necessary to make a
selection, which the faculty did, while the others presented theses in
lieu of speeches. The maximum number of
Previous Page Next Page