The System of Schools 297
The plan of a system of schools was well conceived; it had the
approval of the Convention and of the great majority of the Baptists
of the State. Some local jealousies were excited about the locations of
some of the schools, but these were regarded as temporary. Here was
a plan by which parents who lived in the country and did not have the
advantage of the better schools of the cities and towns could educate
their sons and daughters at a minimum of expense and under Christian
influences and protection. Little by little every school could be
improved until it should have adequate equipment of buildings,
libraries and laboratories, and a faculty sufficient in number and
training to provide the very best in high school education and fit its
students either for life or for college. And for the Baptist colleges of
the State, Wake Forest among them, these schools would provide an
unfailing supply of well prepared students. It was expected that every
school would become a center of educational, cultural and religious
influence for the entire district it served, and greatly minister to the
highest social development of its people.
――――――――――――――――――――――――――――
were: Associational academies: Atlantic Institute, Morehead City, 1900; South Fork
Institute, 1902; Winterville High School, 1900; Yancey Collegiate Institute, 1901;
Round Hill Academy, 1899; Sylva Collegiate Institute, 1899; Lenoir Academy,
1898; Haywood Institute, 1883; Macon High School, 1903; Pee Dee Baptist
Institute, 1898; Fruitland Institute, 1899; Sandy Creek Baptist Association School,
Mount Vernon Springs Academy, 1897; Murphy Baptist School, 1901; Bowman
Academy, Mitchell Collegiate Institute, 1899; Wingate School, 1896; Sandy Run,
merged in the Boiling Springs Academy, 1905-06; Belleview High School (in
Swain County), 1905. The above are classed as Associational academies, but
several of them were already being supported by the Home Mission Board. Other
schools listed in Bailey's report were: Bethel Hill (owned by Baptists), 1856;
Robeson Institute, Trustees of Lumberton Baptist Church, 1893; Mars Hill College,
chartered Baptist school, 1857; Orange Grove Academy, Cane Creek Church, 1866;
Yadkin Mineral Springs Academy, Trustees; Buie's Creek Academy, private, 1887;
Dell School, Baptist Trustees, 1902; Leaksville-Spray Institute, 1905, chartered by
Baptists. To these were added in a few years; Boiling Springs Academy, 1906;
Liberty-Piedmont School, 1904; Mountain Park High School, 1912-16; Mountain
View, 1913; Orphanage, Mills Home School, first report, 1916; Salemburg, about
1900 (afterwards Pineland School for Girls); Round Hill Academy, 1899; South
Fork, 1902; South Mountain, Bostic (Miss Ora Hull), 1921; Yancey Collegiate
Institute, 1901; Stinceon Institute, Orrum, N. C. There were many other schools
under Baptist influence and with Baptist principals, many of which were often
approved by the Associations.
Previous Page Next Page