THE SCHOOL OF LAW
As early as 1872, while the work of the University of North
Carolina was suspended, some among the friends of the College were
contemplating provision for teaching law at Wake Forest, and Dr. T.
H. Pritchard strongly supported the suggestion, but nothing came of
it.1 On April 27, 1879, on motion of Rev. J. S. Purefoy the Board
appointed W. H. Pace and J. C. Scarborough to report on the
advisability of establishing a Law School at the College, and on June
12, 1879, following the report of the committee the Board voted that
"a Law class be established in connection with Wake Forest College
at as early a day as possible," and appointed W. H. Pace, J. C.
Scarborough, C. M. Cooke, L. L. Polk, and F. P. Hobgood, a
committee to have the matter in charge. Again, nothing came of it.
It was the interest and planning of President Taylor that finally
brought the school into existence. He directed the attention of the
Board to the matter in June, 1892, and again in June, 1893, when the
Board ordered the establishment of the School. He was not certain
where the school should be located, and his hope was that it could be
operated without expense to the
Arrangements for beginning the school were intrusted to a
committee consisting of W. E. Daniel, J. N. Holding, and N. Y.
1 Dr. Pritchard, in Biblical Recorder of June 19, 1872: "It has been suggested that
one of the pressing wants of Wake Forest College is a Law Professorship. Cannot
our Alumni endow that school? Think of it, brethren, and let us see if we cannot
devise something for the good of our beloved Alma Mater at our next session."
2 Report to the Board, June, 1895: "In previous reports your attention has been
called to the advantages which would accrue from the establishment of a Law
School at or in connection with the College. This now seems to be a necessity, and I
hope the Board will discover some way to establish such a school, either at the
College or in Raleigh, without spending any of the income of the College therefor."