304 History of Wake Forest College
Gulley. This committee secured the services of Judge George V.
Strong, Associate (later Chief) Justice Walter Clark, and N. Y.
Gulley, and announced that the School of Law would open in
September, 1893. At the opening of the session, however, no student
registered for Law; nor did any register during the year 1893-94.
Strong and Clark did not come to the College at all during the year;
but although no student asked for registration of Gulley who was
present, "pen in hand," for the purpose at the opening of the session,
which caused him "a trifling shade of discouragement," yet he "was
not willing to let the enterprise fall still-born," and announced that he
would come to Wake Forest once a week and lecture on law to such
as cared to hear
Many came to hear, so many that the lecturer
Thus the interest in the School was kept alive, with
the result that on September 8, 1894, the executive committee of the
Board of Trustees authorized the faculty to establish a law course at
the College, and make as much of the work as they saw fit elective on
the requirements for the degree of Bachelor of Arts and Master of
Arts, with the proviso that there be no additional charge for tuition of
those taking the courses in Law.
At the same time the Committee elected N. Y. Gulley to be
professor of Law until June, 1895, at a salary of $750. The agreement
which he faithfully observed was that he was to come to Wake Forest
three days in the week and teach classes in law, government, and
political economy. At the next Commencement, June, 1895, the
Trustees unanimously elected him "Professor of Law, Political
Science and such cognate subjects as may be intrusted to him by the
faculty," at a salary of $1,350, at that time the temporary salary of a
Mr. Gulley, as told in a former chapter, was a graduate of the
College, class of 1879, with the degree of Master of Arts. In
Probably the reason students were unwilling to register for the courses in the
School of Law was the higher fees for Law than for the academic courses; these
fees were advertised to be $90 a year for tuition, 50 per cent higher than the regular
fee, and $10 a year for other fees. All this is set out in an attractive
"Announcement," circulated in the summer of 1893, and signed by President Taylor
and the three lecturers, Strong, Clark and Gulley.
Bulletin of Wake Forest College, IX, 139.